Saturday, December 5, 2009

O Christmas Tree O Christmas Tree

I bought the very first Christmas tree that's ever come home to my house today. Normally, when I buy Christmas trees, I don't actually buy one- I'm usually just the one there because I have a truck and can lift heavy objects. But today...it's all mine.
The tree is as tall as me (and, really, the only thing shorter than me is a miniature five-year-old), and I manhandled that baby into place in the stand all by myself and screwed in the posts while holding the tree up and straight. Who's the the most self sufficient person around here? Yeah, that's right- ME!
Normally, I put up a menorah during this time of year- I'm not a Christian, never have been, never can be- and it seems more fitting to honor the season with a menorah than a tree- you know, since Jesus was Jewish. Plus, it irritated my father to no end. I've never really liked Christmas, but I do like trees, and this is one of the few times of year you can justify having a spruce in your house to smell up the place. Okay, it's the only time of year you can justify it. I'm a strange one, though, and I celebrate the Winter Solstice as well. It's not out of any religious conviction or obligation, but more out of giving thanks to the Earth and the Sky. Really, is there anything more divine than the true, raw Earth that we haven't screwed up or the starkness of the Sky? I think not.
But I still have a Christmas tree unfurling its branches in my living room. *smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment