Saturday, December 5, 2009

Word Puke

I can't tell you the relief I feel that this semester is nearly over. If you've ever been in school, you know what I mean. I'm soooo ready to move on.

I work in retail, and I tell you, everyone who works retail during Christmas should at least be considered for canonization if they make it through without choking someone out or fewer than ten smartass quips. I don't think I'll be in the running if this ever becomes the rule, but I believe in paying respect to those who deserve it. And let me tell you, the working poor deserve it as a general rule.

Tonight, for example, I had a woman throw a fit with me because I couldn't (and quite honestly, wouldn't) give her the membership prices since she wasn't a member with the company I slave for- she screamed, bitched, and moaned, and all I asked was "would you like some paper so you can write down these titles?" I might've been more willing to go out on a limb if she hadn't started out the entire encounter with: 'I'm a member of your competitor but not with you, but I want you to give it to me at this price because they won't. And no, I don't want to become a member with you.' (By the way, say this to yourself with the most bitchy PMS tone you can muster, and you'll hear her voice.) I was polite, I was nice (you know, the whole 'kill 'em with kindness' thing), and I hoped to God I never had to see that woman again.
I also had a woman tell me that her only complaint was that she got called 'honey' in my store (by the way, this is the goddamn South. NO ONE has a name beyond 'honey' or 'sugar' or darlin''.) She also told me she intended to report it. I simply told her "Lady, if you're biggest problem is that you get called 'honey' then count yourself lucky." She told me that it only started happening when she got white hair, and I replied that I didn't care what color hair she had, it was just a generic term, but if she preferred another generic term, I'd be more than happy to oblige. I'll be honest with you, I have no idea how I've managed to keep this job for almost two years. I have a word puke problem, especially when it comes to people who go out of their way to cause me grief.
I think every single person living in what is considered to be a 'developed' country should be required to work in retail or the food industry (their choice) for a week every year. It would promote a sense of empathy. Maybe then people wouldn't go out of their way to ruin the poor clerk at the counter's day just because they feel like it.
But, hey, I survived the night. That counts for something. I can't wait to get a big-kid job.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, I almost spit coffee all over my new pink laptop while reading this! How deliciously funny! Great post, Anon!

    ReplyDelete