Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happiness is Banana Bread

I have an awesome cookbook called The Starving Student's Vegetarian Cookbook. It was pretty cheap as cookbooks go- I got it for 8 bucks at a Meijers when I lived in Michigan. It's got fabulous recipes in it (and veg is the way to go when you're a starving student, since meat is so damn expensive). One of the recipes in there is banana bread, and I whipped it out one day about a month ago and decided I was gonna make some- mostly because I never had before.
I only have mini loaf pans, so when I make what should be one loaf, I make two. But, as I was pouring in the first of my batter (this is the batch that exploded and set the oven on fire), I thought "wow, these would be great to give people".
And I've been doing it ever since. I've tweaked the recipe to make it more my style, and every week on my day off, I make about ten loaves of banana bread and then go out through this area delivering them to people that I think could find some joy in fresh bread. I take them to my dad (who always eats it so quickly my mother barely gets a bite), and my friend Charlie, and Sue Ellen (my friend's mom), and various other folks. Sometimes, the roster changes....depends on what's happened to who that week. It's not much, I know, but it's my own little way to bring a little bit of comfort and happiness. Plus, I love to bake and cook- it's a good way to create. So I get some satisfaction, too- it's not like I stand there and hate every minute of what I'm doing. I put a lot of love into that bread- I just hope a little of it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment