Monday, June 7, 2010

Life

I am once again swamped in homework. It's summer term, my last term, and I'm taking FOUR accelerated courses- chemistry, speech, world history, and world literature. I've been steadily working on all of it since the term began last week. I've been reading Gilgamesh tonight...

My first encounter with Gilgamesh was in the sixth grade- I had to read it for history class. I wonder why it is that I'm having to read a story that I read twelve years ago yet again. The story hasn't changed, and I still remember it. But, dutifully, I trudge on, and do my work as I'm told.
What I realized however, is that the story has now taken on a new meaning for me. A particular quote stuck out for me, and one I intend to ponder further:

"He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace."

Gilgamesh says this to his friend Enkidu when he experiences fear at fighting the giant Humbaba. It's a lovely allegorical look at the trials of life: if you don't meet this fearful thing head on, you'll live to regret it. Running isn't an option, really, because whatever your giant is, it'll run after you. Eventually, it'll catch up with you. And then, the possibilities of your defeat are exponentially higher, as you are tired from trying to run away.
What happens when you're tired of fighting?

No comments:

Post a Comment