Friday, June 25, 2010

New Horizons

I'm on the 3rd day of being smoke-free. Besides the ocassional pang of addiction and subsequent momentary loss of temper restraint, it's okay. I'm actually liking it. I can smell the outside better, and I really like that. My skin is clearing up, and my foot (which I've been having problems with for a long time) is better. I can tell my lungs are happier; today, Lilly and I ran around the yard this afternoon and I didn't get out of breath. She actually got tired before I did.
About a week ago, I bought some flowers- peacock phloxes, black eyed susans, rosemary. I went to my mother's house and rescued her aloe vera plants, my pineapple sage (which have gotten to be able three feet tall), and a plant my mother calls "blue Jew"- I'm 99% sure that this plant has to have another name. In short, my front porch is starting to look rather bohemian with it's flowers, herbs, wooden chairs that are obviously worn and weathered, and the Tibetan prayer flags. Someday, I'll have to post pictures. It looks pretty homey.
An added bonus to all this greenery is that it's brought the dragonflies (NOT damselflies, I do know the difference) and a myriad of butterflies. I think it's the phloxes. Either way, it's really lovely to watch them from my front porch swing.
I bought a candle with a pineapple-cilantro scent today; it was a present for my house to burn off what smoke smell may have lingered. It smells delightful, and the price was pretty delightful, too, as it was a Yankee candle on clearance. I also cooked, which was a really lovely experience since my olifactory sense is in good form- dinner was fried squash chips, corn, macaroni and cheese, and broccoli. Good stuff- smelled delightful.
Now, I've moved on to doing homework, which is something I can honestly say I have been ignoring. It's been really hard to actually sit down and focus for the past few days. I'm making an effort today to get it together.
I think I want to go to Hawaii someday...maybe after I get done with this semester or something. I may just give away everything and me and the dogs move there. Who knows...maybe I could make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment